30 April 2019
Completion of the Open ELS project
The Open ELS Project concluded on 30 April 2019 after two years of work by the project partners.
The Open ELS test services, launched at Geospatial World Forum, are based on user requirements, in particular those from the European Commission and from the small and medium sized enterprises (SME) engagement programme. They play an important role in demonstrating the value of authoritative open geospatial data and are accessed via the Open ELS user interface at https://www.euro-geo-opendata.eu.
The Open ELS project outcomes also include:
- User orientation, a survey of small and medium sized enterprises (SME), and the idepntification of Open ELS use cases.
- An appraisal of the potential economic and social benefits of open data from authoritative sources, carried out on our behalf by Deloitte.
- A policy and legal framework for Open ELS that allows us to use members’ open data for Open ELS and defines the terms and conditions for use and re-use of this data.
- Members have agreed the Open Data Policy for Open ELS, the Open Use licence, and the ELS Data Provider Agreement.
- Guidelines for edge-matching and a policy for cross-border harmonisation for our members.
- Compliance with the Metadata Quality Assurance (MQA) tool of the European Data (EDP) Portal. The Open ELS services metadata are now being harvested by the EDP.